Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Senators links, sites and photos

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Senators links, sites and photos

    Folks, it's GREAT to see the revival of interest here in the Washington Senators forum!

    Many times when researching (all right, surfing the web), I've come across interesting websites and pages devoted to the Washington Senators. I'm sure many of you have too.

    What I'd like to do here is start a resource where all of us diehard Senators fans can share those wonderful little bits of Senators history that sometimes surprisingly turn up in cyberspace.

    (NOTE:) Please give proper credit to sites and contributors. Also, doublecheck your link AFTER you've posted it. Things in the cyberworld change quickly enough, please make sure your link works after posting. If the site disappears in a week, a month or a year, at least other people had a chance to see it. BUT, if the link never worked, we have absolutely NO IDEA what the heck it was you were linking to.

    Let me start things out:

    From the National Archives, Opening Day, 1969. President Richard Nixon throws out the first pitch while Senators Manager Ted Williams looks on.

    http://www.archives.gov/global-pages...on.caption.htm
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 07-11-2006, 01:49 PM.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

    "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

  • #2
    The Secret Service must only issue one kind of sunglasses.
    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

    Comment


    • #3
      That's funny about the sunglasses WS Nut! Bob Short,standing behind Ralph Houk,looks like he's already thinking about moving. Ted looks great in his beautiful Senators uniform. They really did have nice ones.

      Here's another website setup by Big Bruno,a big Senators fan and WBHS contributor. He hasn't updated it in a long time but it's got some great stuff.
      www.bigbruno.com/senators/senators.html

      Comment


      • #4
        Clay Randall's Senators page

        Here's a page maintained by a gentleman named Clay Randall, who hails from northern Virginia:

        http://members.cox.net/crandall11/dc/senators

        The same photo of the last (1971) Senators team that has been hanging in my office for years:

        http://members.cox.net/crandall11/dc...ators_1971.jpg
        "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

        "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

        Comment


        • #5
          Mr. Randall's site had a great picture of my second favorite Senator,Tim Cullen,That I've never seen before. I also have that 1971 team photo on my wall Aa3rt. Here's another from Frank Fleming's E-Cyclopedia. It has great home pages for every team.This one covers the expansion Senators
          http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/...enators61.html

          Comment


          • #6
            Hello friends,
            This is my first forey into this realm. I am an old Washington Senators baseball fan, however, I use the term 'old' very loosely. I am FAR from being 'old', and as the old saying goes, age ain't nothin' but a number', and believe me, I am a firm believer in this, but, enough of that. I have very happy memories about the Senators, especially from about 1950 thru 1959.

            The teams after that, really didn't have the charisma for me, the feeling that a youngster has for his baseball team and grows up, and leaves some of his childhood behind. MY teams were of those years, and though time moves on, those memories are as bright today, as they were those 50 years ago. Such names as: Eddie Yost, Pete Runnells, Mickey Vernon, Gil Coan, Mickey Grasso, Frank Shea, Sam Mele, just to name a few, were my first 'Idols', with Eddie Yost, the walking man, my favorite.

            I took in many a game with my Dad at old Griffith Stadium, and it's something I will never forget. My Dad also took me to the All-Star game at Griffith Stadium in 1956, Oh baby, what a memory! I can still see it as if it were just last week. Ted Kluzueski?.....Big Klu, Stan Musial, Willie Mays, Warran Spahn, Gus Bell, Mickey Mantle. It is a portion of history I will never forget. I remember one of the first, if not the first tape measure Home Runs that Mickey Mantle hit at Griffith Stadium, were it hit or sailed over, the old "National Bohemian? sign that was in left field, or the one he hit that sailed into the big tree that was outside the wall in Centerfield.

            I am glad that I found this site, and I shall make more visits to hash out more 'old' memories concerning my Washington Senators.

            I am Sincerely,
            Thirdbaseman
            Last edited by Thirdbaseman; 09-05-2006, 11:07 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Thirdbaseman
              Hello friends,
              This is my first forey into this realm. I am an old Washington Senators baseball fan, however, I use the term 'old' very loosely. I am FAR from being 'old', and as the old saying goes, age ain't nothin' but a number', and believe me, I am a firm believer in this, but, enough of that. I have very happy memories about the Senators, especially from about 1950 thru 1959.
              Thirdbaseman, As we used to say in the Coast Guard "Welcome Aboard!"

              Originally posted by Thirdbaseman
              The teams after that, really didn't have the charisma for me, the feeling that a youngster has for his baseball team and grows up, and leaves some of his childhood behind.
              I've mentioned in a couple of other threads here that my maternal grandfather was a Senators fan, having a special admiration for Walter Johnson. When Calvin Griffith moved the original Senators after the 1960 season, my grandfather pretty much lost his interest in baseball. Being a lad of 7 at the time, I was just becoming aware of major league baseball (I'm surprised I remember anything from that long ago. ) and became a fan of the expansion Senators because I really didn't understand the difference at the time.

              Originally posted by Thirdbaseman
              I took in many a game with my Dad at old Griffith Stadium, and it's something I will never forget.
              When you have the opportunity, please share some of those memories with us-many of us here are too young to have seen Griffith and would love to learn more about it! How did you get to the games? (Streetcar, bus?) What were your impressions of the surrounding neighborhood? Was it really that bad that fans were leery of attending games? Everyone I've ever talked to who actually attended games at Griffith Stadium mentions the smell of baking bread permeateing the air when attending games-do you recall that? (Questions to help you get started.)

              Originally posted by Thirdbaseman
              I am glad that I found this site, and I shall make more visits to hash out more 'old' memories concerning my Washington Senators.

              I am Sincerely,
              Thirdbaseman
              Stop by anytime and share your memories of the Senators!!!
              Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-06-2006, 11:35 AM.
              "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

              "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

              Comment


              • #8
                Just uncovered these...

                A couple of GREAT links on the history of the ORIGINAL and EXPANSION Senators...

                (Courtesy Sportsecyclopedia.com)

                The Original Senators

                The Expansion Senators

                From the Expansion Senators site, photos of some of my boyhood "heros"...
                Last edited by Aa3rt; 10-06-2006, 12:07 PM.
                "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

                "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Washington Senators logos...

                  From Chris Creamer's sportslogos.net, links to logos for both the ORIGINAL and the EXPANSION Senators!!!
                  "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

                  "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    A Baseball-Fever member's website!

                    Check out this site, run by Baseball-Fever.com member GH1054:

                    GH1054's Senators Pictures

                    Make sure you scoll all the way to the bottom to check out pages 2 & 3!

                    Some photos of Moose Skowron, including one in his Senators uniform during his brief tenure in Washington:

                    Bill "Moose" Skowron
                    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

                    "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Great site Aa3rt! There are wonderful pictures here,many never seen before. I have several of them and many of the cards but I sure would like to find more of these. As usual,you have provided us with new and interesting information. Take care friend!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The Washington Senators

                        OK Senators fans,Aa3rt and Thirdbaseman, Lets dust off our memory bowls no matter how rusty they may be. I just stumbled onto this site by accident looking for somethingon the first baseball. If we're going to talk baseball in Washington, lets start back in the 19th century.
                        1. The National Association Washington Olympics, 1871-1872
                        2. The National Association Washington Nationals, 1872
                        3. The National Association Washington Blue Legs, 1873
                        4. The National Association Washington Nationals(NA) (a new incarnation), 1875
                        5. The Union Association Washington Nationals(UA), 1884
                        6. The American Association Nationals, 1884
                        7. The National League Washington Nationals, 1886-1889
                        8. The Washington Senators (1891-1899): the American Association Washington Statesmen of 1891 and National League Washington Senators of 1892-1899. The American Association was incorporated in the NL after 1891 and its Washington club continued operation in the combined League.
                        I used to go to old Griffith Stadium in the 40's with my father. After the game, I used to stand by the team locker room door trying to get autographs. I wasn't too successful.
                        The team was an American League team from 1901 to 1960 when it moved to Minneapolis. The official name of the team was the Washington Nationals from 1905 to 1950 but was commonly referred to as the Senators or Sens or the First Washington Senators ot the Nats until they left.
                        The new expansion team, also named the Washington Senators arrived in 1963, stayedfor a while then picked up they're socks and left for Texas.
                        Now there is another team in residence that slid downhill from Montreal, Canada.
                        I guess this is all for now. Maybe we'll talk about Griffith Stadium next time.
                        PLAY BALL!!!!
                        ref:wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_senators

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          #2000!

                          Senators great Mickey Vernon is showing holding the
                          baseball he belted for his 2000 hit.

                          Brownie31
                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tombo
                            OK Senators fans,Aa3rt and Thirdbaseman, Lets dust off our memory bowls no matter how rusty they may be. I just stumbled onto this site by accident looking for somethingon the first baseball. If we're going to talk baseball in Washington, lets start back in the 19th century.
                            1. The National Association Washington Olympics, 1871-1872
                            2. The National Association Washington Nationals, 1872
                            3. The National Association Washington Blue Legs, 1873
                            4. The National Association Washington Nationals(NA) (a new incarnation), 1875
                            5. The Union Association Washington Nationals(UA), 1884
                            6. The American Association Nationals, 1884
                            7. The National League Washington Nationals, 1886-1889
                            8. The Washington Senators (1891-1899): the American Association Washington Statesmen of 1891 and National League Washington Senators of 1892-1899. The American Association was incorporated in the NL after 1891 and its Washington club continued operation in the combined League.
                            I used to go to old Griffith Stadium in the 40's with my father. After the game, I used to stand by the team locker room door trying to get autographs. I wasn't too successful.
                            The team was an American League team from 1901 to 1960 when it moved to Minneapolis. The official name of the team was the Washington Nationals from 1905 to 1950 but was commonly referred to as the Senators or Sens or the First Washington Senators ot the Nats until they left.
                            The new expansion team, also named the Washington Senators arrived in 1963, stayedfor a while then picked up they're socks and left for Texas.
                            Now there is another team in residence that slid downhill from Montreal, Canada.
                            I guess this is all for now. Maybe we'll talk about Griffith Stadium next time.
                            PLAY BALL!!!!
                            ref:wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_senators
                            Played As:
                            Washington Senators
                            1901-1904

                            Washington Nationals
                            1905-1955

                            Washington Senators
                            1956-1960

                            Minnesota Twins
                            1961-Present

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Opening Day 1916

                              Wednesday April 12, 1916 National Park Washington DC
                              President Woodrow Wilson is all smiles as he throws out
                              the first pitch of the season. The President and other
                              loyal fans would watch Clark Griffith's Senators knock
                              off the New York Yankees 3-2 in route to a 76-77
                              seventh place finish.

                              Brownie31
                              Attached Files

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X