Frank Howard was my Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aa3rt View Post
    The Washington Nationals website is reporting that Frank Howard was at the "Hot Stove Luncheon" this past Friday (Jan. 23rd) and that he is "currently in negotiations" with the Nationals.

Frank Howard-A Washington National?
    I guess Frank H. didn't get the job with the Nationals? Last I heard he was helping raise funds for St. Jude's children's hospital. Well a class act no matter what he does!
    By the way I've posted a separate thread up about Hondo's record for homers in a week in 1968. Appreciate some replies: http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...63#post1925363

T.
    Last edited by Timbones; 09-07-2011, 05:26 AM.

Comment

• Frank Howard joins the Loudon Hounds...

The lastest news on Frank Howard is that he will be involved with the Loudon Hounds, an expansion team in the Atlantic League, an independent minor league. Loudon represents Loudon County, VA (Near the Dulles International Airport, for those familiar with the area). More information here:

Frank Howard, Loudon Hounds

As an aside, former Baltimore Oriole Brooks Robinson is involved with another Atlantic League team, the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs.
      Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-23-2011, 11:01 PM.
      "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

• Love that Hounds logo. Hondo and the Hounds. Sounds like a great band.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aa3rt View Post
          The lastest news on Frank Howard is that he will be involved with the Loudon Hounds, an expansion team in the Atlantic League, an independent minor league. Loudon represents Loudon County, VA (Near the Dulles International Airport, for those familiar with the area). More information here:

Frank Howard, Loudon Hounds

As an aside, former Baltimore Oriole Brooks Robinson is involved with another Atlantic League team, the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs.
          Thanks Aa3rt, it's good to know Frank H. will still have a baseball connection. He'll be a good influence on those young guys. Brooks too, wow, it's so long since I've heard anything about him.

t.

Comment

• Originally posted by FLMOUNTAINEER View Post
            Love that Hounds logo. Hondo and the Hounds. Sounds like a great band.
            The actual connection for the team name Loudon Hounds is that Loudon County, Virginia in the extreme northern part of the state, along the Potomac River and the VA-Maryland border, and approximately 30 to 50 miles from Washington D.C.(including towns such as Sterling, Middleburg, Ashburn, and Leesburg, the county seat) is an extremely well-to-do area. The rich folks there actually still enter Equestrian competitions, play Polo, and go on Fox Hunts, with their Hound Dogs tracking down the poor little critters.
            Last edited by philliesfiend55; 09-26-2011, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
              The actual connection for the team name Loudon Hounds is that Loudon County, Virginia in the extreme northern part of the state, along the Potomac River and the VA-Maryland border, and approximately 30 to 50 miles from Washington D.C.(including towns such as Sterling, Middleburg, Ashburn, and Leesburg, the county seat) is an extremely well-to-do area. The rich folks there actually still enter Equestrian competitions, play Polo, and go on Fox Hunts, with their Hound Dogs tracking down the poor little critters.
              The name was chosen by a vote of the baseball fans and sure, reflects the equestrian heritage of Loudon County. I don't think it's a crime to own a horse if you can afford one. At least the ball park was built by private money, not like too many major league parks.
              As to "fox hunting" it is more of a "fox chase" now in America and the foxes are seldom killed as part of the "hunt". More people are injured in "fox hunting" in America now than foxes. In fact, Virginia fox hunting associations have long opposed other kinds of fox hunting, so as to preserve fox populations. But due to the plentiful populations of foxes Virginia does allow other types of fox hunting which result in kills.

T.

Comment

• Originally posted by BaseballBrain46 View Post
                I'm 46 years old and I remember Frank Howard very well, about 6-7 215 pounds and wore glasses. He could hit some mammoth shots. Too bad he didn't play for a really good team like the Yankees back then.
                Actually, Howard weighed about 245 as a rookie around 1959-60. He seemed to keep himself in good shape but I suspect he weighed even more, probably around 260, later in his career.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timbones View Post
                  Thanks Aa3rt, it's good to know Frank H. will still have a baseball connection. He'll be a good influence on those young guys. Brooks too, wow, it's so long since I've heard anything about him.

t.
                  Hi Timbones-Nice to see that you're still around!

The Southern Maryland Blue Crabs play in a stadium approximately 10 miles from my house. Butch Hobson was the manager in their first season and I saw Andy Etchebarren there as manager of a team this year, the Somerset (PA) Patriots. On occasion, other former major leaguers come through as coaches or managers of various teams. Here's a link to another thread where I met up with another former Senator who had the proverbial "cup of coffee" with the expansion Senators in 1970:

Dick Such, Camden River Sharks
                  Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-28-2011, 08:53 AM.
                  "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

• Frank Howard's 1969 Nestle's Quik commercial

This link was recently posted at the "Washington DC Baseball History" page at Facebook. I thought some of you may like to see it as well...

Frank Howard's 1969 Nestle's Quik commercial

Comment

• Originally posted by Timbones View Post
                      I guess Frank H. didn't get the job with the Nationals? Last I heard he was helping raise funds for St. Jude's children's hospital. Well a class act no matter what he does!

T.
                      Just by coincidence, this past Friday's (Sep. 28th) Washington Examiner contained an article by sportswriter Thom Loverro discussing Frank Howard and his association, or lack thereof, with the Washington Nationals.

Why Punish the Capital Punisher?

As thrilled as I am to have baseball back in Washington, the Nationals organization has committed some major gaffes during their short time in existence. The exclusion of Frank Howard heads that list.

Mention the Washington Senators to casual or even non-baseball fans in this area and those who are old enough to remember usually respond with a remark about Frank Howard.
                      Last edited by Aa3rt; 10-01-2011, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• Did anybody get a chance to see Hondo at this event?
                        http://districtsportspage.com/meet-a...do-howard/2970

Here's some more coverage: http://www.loudounhounds.com/dogdish...ing-privilege/

T.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X