DC Baseball and President Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Baseball and President Ford

It just occurred to me that Ford was the first president never to throw out a baseball at a Senators opening day game. I know that is not news or any great revelation, but with all the talk about Ford's passing and the fact that he was an athlete, it's too bad the Senators were gone when he was around.

Originally posted by bryanac625
    It just occurred to me that Ford was the first president never to throw out a baseball at a Senators opening day game. I know that is not news or any great revelation, but with all the talk about Ford's passing and the fact that he was an athlete, it's too bad the Senators were gone when he was around.
    That was one of baseball's great traditions. Ford might have been a football guy (football and nachos) but in the last couple days there were clips of him throwing out the baseball. Nice to see.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/prz_cgf.shtml

He threw out the first ball in 1976 at Texas - also attended the All-Star game that year in Philly.

Comment

And he was there when "Tricky Dick" got tossed out.
        After 1957, it seemed like we would never laugh again. Of course, we did. Its just that we were never young again.

Comment

I was at his museum in Ann Arbor, Michigan a few years ago for my book signing ( Ebbets Field: Brooklyn's Baseball Shrine) and they had a Presidents and Baseball exhibit going on. There were a bunch of photos and films of him and other Presidents throwing out balls and attending baseball games.
          Former Dodger, Tiger and Michigan alum Don Lund was there and it was a treat talking with him about stories in the big leagues.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X