This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Josh Loe and Drew Walp play for the Senators

I found this trivia item without source on the Wikipedia article for Graham, Texas. Anybody know if any of it is true or just more internet myth.

"No Major League Baseball players have been born in Graham except for Drew Walp and Josh Loe who played for the Washington Senators from 1954 to 1969. The founders of the Rainbow Coalition are also rumored to be from Graham; notably Thomas Nathan Allen, Justin "Gordy" Armstrong, and one other individual known only as "the donkey." The founders had strong ties to the Senators baseball organization and were indirectly responsible for the successes of both Walp and Loe. The players cited the Rainbow Coalition for giving them the courage to emerge from homosexual solitude and isolation."

Originally posted by dallaseaglesfan
    The players cited the Rainbow Coalition for giving them the courage to emerge from homosexual solitude and isolation."
    Jesse Jackson's Rainbow Coalition?

Comment

I'm assuming, but all I really know is what is in the Wikipedia article.

Comment

Not only did neither ever play for the Senators, but they never played MLB baseball, period...Wikipedia strikes again. My father, a 31-year veteran of the Manhattan District Attorney's Office, checked out some of the cases he prosecuted and found that one man, who in real life was shot with a Smith & Wesson .44 Special caliber revolver that had been chrome-plated, was cited in the article as being gunned down with an M16 assault rifle!
        "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
        -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

I fixed the article, requesting any attempt to add that info back cite a source. Wiki works if you're not cynical about it. Problem solved.
          CLEVELAND INDIANS Central Division Champions

1920 1948 1954 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2001 2007

Comment

Went back to wikipedia to check out that article on Dad's case...well, the murder weapon morphed from .44 Special to .38 Special (again)...
            "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalkowski110
              Went back to wikipedia to check out that article on Dad's case...well, the murder weapon morphed from .44 Special to .38 Special (again)...
              Fix it to how it should be. If there's a citation you can make, make it.

Comment

Seemed awfully suspicious to me. How did you find they never played pro ball?

Comment

Agreed. Thanks!

Comment

I went back and looked at the history of the article. Originally it read "No Major League Baseball players have been born in Graham, but two passed away here...Andy Bednar (1937) and Roy Easterwood (1984)." That might be correct, and then somebody decided to vandalize the article. I agree that Wikipedia works well. This got fixed.

Comment

I went back and looked at the history of the article. Originally it read "No Major League Baseball players have been born in Graham, but two passed away here...Andy Bednar (1937) and Roy Easterwood (1984)." That might be correct, and then somebody decided to vandalize the article. I agree that Wikipedia works well. This got fixed.
                      If anyone can confirm that those players died there, they should cite that and restore that version of the article. I regularly perform quality-control on the pages of my favorite ball players.

Comment

Baseball-reference.com confirms that Bednar and Easterwood did die in Graham, TX on the dates you give.

Brownie31

Comment

Seemed awfully suspicious to me. How did you find they never played pro ball?
                          Neither appear in Total Baseball.

Comment

Well, seems we have split decision. I'm not that familiar with either source, so, what's the group consensus on the validity of the original statement re: Bednar and Easterwood. If its that the statement is valid, perhaps Boofbonser26, who has Wikipedia registration, will re-enter the original trivia with sources.

Comment

Actually, anyone can edit wikipedia. You don't have to be a member. And yeah, Total Baseball, which is THE source for not just MLB players but also ALL pro players since the 1880's, doesn't feature either man as being even playing a single day.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X