Frank Mancuso Died Today, 8/04/07.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Mancuso Died Today, 8/04/07.

1947 Senators catcher Frank Mancuso died today in a suburb of Houston at the age of 89. Frank had been in a stroke rehabilitation facility in Pasadena, Texas, following a recent heart attack and stroke. Prior to his Washington year, Mancuso played three seasons for the St. Louis Browns (1944-46) and was a member of the only Browns team to ever win a pennant. Those 1944 Browns lost to the St. Cardinals in 6 games and Frank's participation in the World Series was limited to three pinch hitting appearances due to nagging aggaravation from near fatal parachute fall in special trainign with the US Army in 1943. Mancuso had broken his back and one leg in that horrendous fall, but still managed to get back in shape well enough to split catching duties with Red Hayworth on the '44 Browns club. In spite of his limited service in the World Series of 1944, Frank Mancuso sill went 2 for 3 as a pinch hitter and also picked up an RBI. After his baseball career, Mancuso served 30 years on the Houston City Council, building a reputation of honest service and commitment to the needs of the little guy. A lot of us in Houston already miss Frank Mancuso. - Frank was proud of his association with the Senators too. I just wanted you guys to know that fact too - and to let you know that he's now gone.
    "Our fans never booed us. - They wouldn't dare. - We outnumbered 'em." ... Browns Pitcher Ned Garver.

He who hesitates...

Thanks for the update, Bill. I'd just sent Mr. Mancuso a card, I'm afraid it will arrive too late. Frank Mancuso is only 1 of 133 major league baseball players to have played with both the Browns and Senators.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X