Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Date In Washington Senators history...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

April 26

1901 The American League starts play in Philadelphia, with the Senators besting the Philadelphia Athletics by the score of 5-1.

1931 The Senators defeat the New York Yankees by a score of 9-7. A bizarre play seals the win for the Senators and possibly costs Lou Gherig the 1931 home run crown. With Yankee Lyn Lary on base, Gehrig homers, a smash that clears the fence but bounces back into the hands of center fielder Harry Rice. Thinking the ball was caught for the third out, Lary heads for the dugout. Gehrig, running with his head down, is called out for passing the runner. Gehrig ends the season tied with Babe Ruth-both have hit 46 home runs. Gehrig finished the season with 184 RBI.

Senators Birthdays

Robert Sylvester (Buzz) Murphy B Apr. 26, 1895 D May 11, 1938

Outfielder Buzz Murphy played in 79 games with the Senators in 1919, collecting 66 hits in 252 at bats, good for a .262 batting average. In 1918, he played for the Boston Braves.

"Buzz" Murphy career record

Sam Dente B Apr. 26, 1922 D Apr. 21, 2002

Sam Dente's baseball career started with the Boston Red Sox in 1947. He spent the 1949-1951 seasons with the Senators, playing 2nd & 3rd base and shortstop. Other stops during his playing days found him making stops with the St. Louis Browns, Chicago White Sox and ending his career with the Cleveland Indians in 1955.

Sam Dente career record
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-27-2008, 12:16 AM.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

April 27

1947 It's Babe Ruth Day at Yankee Stadium. 58,339 fans in attendance hear the Babe give his farewell address. Ruth, who was suffering from throat cancer would succumb to the disease the next year. The Senators spoil the the tribute winning 1-0 with the Senators Sid Hudson getting the victory over Spurgeon (Spud) Chandler.

1970 The Senators trade 3rd baseman Ken McMullen to the California Angels for infielder Aurelio Rodriguez and outfielder Rick Reichardt. Reichardt had received a $200,000 bonus in 1964 to sign with the Angels. At the time he was hitting .167 in 9 games for California. Reichardt would appear in 107 games with the Senators, batting .267 with 70 hits, 15 home runs and 46 RBI. He would be traded to the Chicago White Sox prior to the 1971 season for pitcher Gerry Janeski.

1971 Curt Flood leaves the Senators after 15 games, he was batting just .200 at the time. In a 22 word telegram to owner Bob Short he writes: "I tried. A year and a half is too much. Very serious problems mounting every day. Thanks for your confidence and understanding". Rumors of financial problems surrounded Flood, in part stemming from his lawsuit against baseball's reserve clause.

Senators Birthdays

George Archie B Apr. 27, 1914 D Sep. 20, 2001

George Albert Archie spent 3 separate, and brief, stints in the major leagues. In 1938, he played in 3 games with the Detroit Tigers. He returned in 1941 to play 105 games with Washington and an additional 9 with the St. Louis Browns. Then, after another 4 year hiatus, (I'm assuming his career was interrupted by WWII.) he returned in 1946 to play in 4 last games with the St. Louis Browns.

Primarily a 1st/3rd baseman, Archie was traded by Washington to the St. Louis Browns for one of April 25th's birthday boys, Bobby Estalella.

George Archie career record

Orth Collins B Apr. 27, 1890 D Dec. 13, 1949

Orth Stein (Buck) Collins is another "short timer" with a broken period of time in the majors. Playing 5 games with the New York Highlanders (later Yankees) in 1904, Collins would not return to the majors until 1909 when he appeared in 8 games for the Senators. He was an outfielder who was pressed into 1 inning of relief pitching by Washington.

Orth Collins career record

"Dutch" Hinrichs B Apr 27, 1889 D Aug. 18, 1972

William Louis (Dutch) Hinrichs was a pitcher who played in 3 games for the 1910 Senators. He is charged with 1 loss and an ERA of 2.57 in 7 innings pitched.

Dutch Hinrichs career record

"Jug" Thesenga B Apr. 27, 1914 D Dec. 3, 2002

A 30 year old rookie, Arnold Joseph (Jug) Thesenga appeared in 5 games for the Senators in 1944. He started 1 game, pitched 12.3 innings, giving up 18 hits and 9 runs (7 earned) for a 5.11 ERA.

Jug Thesenga career record

"Kite" Thomas B Apr. 27, 1923 D Jan. 7, 1995

Completing April 27th's birthday list is Keith Marshall (Kite) Thomas. Playing 2 years in the majors, Thomas played the majority of his brief career with the Philadelphia Athletics in 1952 & 1953. He was picked up off waivers by Washington in June of '53, and played a grand total of 9 games in a Senators uniform, mainly as an outfielder.

Kite Thomas career record
      Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-28-2008, 04:34 PM.
      "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

April 28

1911 Walter Johnson picks up his first victory of the season with a 2-1 victory over Philadelphia. The only run yielded by the the "Big Train" is a solo HR to Frank "Home Run" Baker. This will be the first of 25 wins for Johnson as he will finish fifth in the AL MVP voting.

Birthdays

Pedro Ramos, B: April 28,1935, Still Alive

A veteran of 15 major league seasons, the native of Pinar Del Rio, Cuba was an All Star for the Senators in 1959. Used mostly as a starter in his 5 seasons with Washington, Ramos would become an effective reliever in the latter half of his career, particularly with the Yankees. As a late season pickup by the Yankees in 1964, Ramos was an instrumental part of their pennant winning team. Ramos also pitched with Minnesota, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. He ended his career with a 4 game stint with the 1970 Senators, thus becoming one of 6 players to play for both the original and expansion Senators.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/ramospe01.shtml

Tom Sturdivant B: April 28, 1930 Still Alive

Drafted from Boston in the 1960 Expansion draft, Sturdivant appeared in 15 games with the Sens in 1961, logging a 2-6 record with a 4.61 ERA. Sturdivant was traded to Pittsburgh on June 28, 1961 for P Tom Cheney.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/sturdto01.shtml

Frank McGee, B: April 28, 1899 D: January 30, 1934

McGee appeared in 2 games with the 1925 Senators. He went hitless in 3 AB with 1 strikeout.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/mcgeefr01.shtml

I hope I'm not stepping on your toes, Aa3rt.
        Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-28-2008, 04:40 PM.

Comment

April 29

1971 Playing their last season as the Washington Senators, the Senators, with a 12-8 won-lost record, head to Chicago to face the White Sox.

Despite home runs from Mike Epstein and Bernie Allen, the Senators would lose 5-4. This is the start of a 6 game losing streak from which the Senators would never recover, finishing the season at 63-96, for a .396 winning percentage. Chicago pitcher Tom Bradley ups his record to 3-0 with the win, Darold Knowles is charged with the loss for the Senators.

Senators Birthdays

Mickey McDermott B Apr. 29, 1929 D Aug. 7, 2003

Maurice Joseph (Mickey) McDermott first appeared in the major leagues with the Boston Red Sox in 1948. In a career that spanned 12 years he also played for the Washington Senators, New York Yankees, Kansas City Athletics (2 separate stints), Detroit Tigers and St. Louis Cardinals.

Mickey's years wearing the uniform of the Washington Senators were 1954 & 1955, where he compiled a 17-25 record over 2 seasons. His best year was 1953 when he went 18-10 for the Red Sox. Mickey came to the Senators, along with Tom Umphlett, in a trade for Jackie Jensen.

Mickey McDermott career record

Steve Ridzik B Apr. 29, 1929 D Jan. 8, 2008

Another well travelled player, Steve Ridzik first played in 1 game for the Philadelphia Phillies in 1950. He returned to Philadelphia in 1952, playing for the Phillies and going to the Cincinnati Reds during the 1955 season. He spent 1956 & 1957 with the New York Giants and spent a portion of 1958 with the Cleveland Indians. Then he would not play in the majors again until 1963 when he showed up on the roster of the expansion Senators where he would play from 1963 to 1965 compiling a 3 year total of 11-15. He was purchased by the Philles in early 1966 where he would end his career.

Steve Ridzik career record
          Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-29-2008, 06:57 AM.

Comment

April 29

1969- At Tiger Stadium, Senators starter Joe Coleman heads into the bottom of the 9th inning with a 4-2 lead over Detroit. Coleman retires 3B Tom Matchick on a fly to left for the first out, but gives up a single to C Bill Freehan and a walk to PH Dave Campbell. Manager Ted Williams lifts Coleman for Frank Bertaina, who walks 2B Dick McAuliffe to load the bases. Williams makes another pitching change by summoning closer Dennis Higgins. SS Mikey Stanley deposits a double to center that scores all 3 Tiger runners as the Senators lose a tough one to the defending WS Champs. Despite pitching to one batter, Bertaina suffers the loss.

Joe Coleman was a 1st round choice of Washington in the first MLB draft in June,1965. Coleman was one of the players that the Senators gave up in the disastrous Denny McLain trade after the 1970 season. Coleman became a two time 20 game winner wth Detroit over 6 seasons with the Tigers. Over a 14 year career, he pitched for Washington, Detroit, the Cubs, Oakland, Toronto, San Francisco and Pittsburgh. After retiring in 1979, he became a pitching coach, most notably with San Diego.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/colemjo05.shtml

Frank Bertaina was acquired by the Senators in a trade from the Baltimore Orioles along with Mike Epstein for Pete Richert in May, 1967. Bertaina pitched part of 3 years with the Senators going 14-21 in his stint with Washington from 1967 to mid 1969. He was traded back to Baltimore for minor leaguer Pete Campbell in June, 1969. Bertaina ended his career with St. Louis in 1970.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bertafr01.shtml

Dennis Higgins, who gave up the game winning double to Stanley, pitched 2 seasons with the Senators in 1968 & 1969, logging 29 saves while compiling a 14-13 record in 104 relief appearances. He also pitched for the Chicago White Sox, Cleveland and St. Louis in his 7 year career. Higgins is a cousin of current White Sox 3B Joe Crede.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/higgide01.shtml
            Last edited by Steve Jeltz; 04-30-2008, 03:59 PM.

Comment

April 30

1939 The Senators win 3-2, beating the Yankees in New York. Making the game notable is the fact that Lou Gehrig's 2,130 consecutive game streak comes to an end today. He is hitting .143 with just 4 hits since the beginning of the season.

Senators Birthdays

Tony Brottem B Apr. 30, 1891 D Aug. 5, 1929

Playing for the St. Louis Cardinals in 1916 & 1918, Tony Brottem would reappear in the major leagues in 1921, playing just 4 games as a catcher for the Senators and would finish his playing days with the Pittsburgh Pirates that same year.

Tony Brottem career record

Bob Edmundson B Apr. 30, 1879 D Aug. 14, 1931

Bob Edmundson was another to have a brief career, this one entirely with the Senators. An outfielder who also made 2 pitching appearances, Edmundson played in just 3 games in the 1906 season and would resurface in 1908 to play in 26 games.

Bob Edmundson career record

Kenneth Leo (Ken) Retzer B Apr. 30, 1934 Still living

Another catcher, Ken Retzer appeared with the expansion Senators from 1961 to 1964 playing in 237 games over that span. After the 1964 season he was traded to the Minnesota Twins for Joe McCabe.

Ken Retzer career record
              Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-30-2008, 01:52 PM.

Comment

May 1

1901 The Senators, after bolting to a 4-0 start, suffer their 1st American League defeat. The opponent was none other than the John McGraw led Baltimore Orioles, the forerunners to the Yankees. The Orioles take a 6-4 win in Washington. The Sens would complete their inaugural season with in 6th place with a record of 61-72 under manager Jim Manning. It would be Manning's first and last managerial job.

1925 The defending World Champion Senators improve to 10-3 with a 9-4 victory over Philadelphia. The significance of this game? This game marked the debut of a 17 year old kid by the name of Jimmie Foxx. Foxx hit a pinch single in his debut. Tom Zachary was the Senators winning pitcher.

1927 Rookie Hod Lisenbee shutouts the Red Sox 6-0 in his first major league start at Griffith Stadium. Lisenbee would compile an 18-9, 3.57 ERA for the 1927 Sens. Lisenbee would never approach those numbers again, as injuries and ineffectiveness curtailed his career. In one of the Senators best trades, Lisenbee was shipped to the Red Sox after the 1928 season in multi player deal that netted Washington Buddy Myer again, an important player for the 1933 pennant winning Senators.

Lisenbee's stats: http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/lisenho01.shtml

1944 At Boston, Sens 2B George Myatt goes 6 for 6 in Washington's 11-4 rout of the Red Sox. Myatt began his career in the NL with the NY Giants in 1938 before the Cardinals purchased his contract before the 1941 season. Myatt did not play a game for the Cards in two seasons and was left unprotected in the the 1942 Rule 5 draft, where Washington selected him. His best season as a Senator was in 1945 when he placed 5th in the AL MVP voting.

After Myatt's playing days ended in 1947, he would go on to a coaching and managing career in the minors and majors. Myatt's only major league managerial position occurred when he succeeded Gene Mauch as the Phillies manager during the 1968 season. A rocky relationship with mercurial Phils star Dick Allen and a 19-35 start in 1969, would eventually seal Myatt's fate as the Phils skipper.

George Myatt stats:http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/myattge01.shtml
                Last edited by Steve Jeltz; 05-02-2008, 12:22 AM.

Comment

May 1 birthday

1941 In the first night game at Griffith Stadium, the Yankees defeat the Senators 6-5.

Senators Birthday

We have to dredge REALLY deep for this one...

David Austin (Del) Howard B May 1, 1889 D Jan. 26, 1956

Dave Howard's first (and presumably only) game with the Washington Senators came on May 8, 1912. He is credited with 1 run scored and no official at bats. Howard would resurface in 1915 with the Brooklyn Tip-Tops of the Federal League, where he appeared in 24 games at second and third base and as an outfielder.

Dave Howard career record
                  Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-03-2008, 01:44 PM.

Comment

May 2

Senators Birthday

Lucas Newton Turk B May 2, 1898 D Jan. 11, 1994

Another obscure player, Lucas Turk appeared in 5 games with the Senators in 1922, finishing with no won/lost record and an ERA of 6.94 in 11.2 innings pitched.

Lucas Turk career record
                    Last edited by Aa3rt; 03-13-2009, 04:29 PM.

Comment

May 3

1952 The Senators and Yankees make a 6 player trade, the Senators receive Jackie Jensen, Frank (Spec) Shea, Archie Wilson and minor league infielder Jerry Snyder. The Senators send Irv Noren and Tom Upton to New York.

1962 The Senators trade Willie Tasby to the Cleveland Indians. In return, Steve Hamilton and Don Rudolph suit up in Senators uniforms.

Senators Birthday

Charles Edward (Chuck) Hinton, Jr. B May 3, 1934 Still living

Fans of the early expansion Senators probably remember Chuck Hinton as one of the few bright spots on an otherwise lackluster roster. Chuck spent 11 years in the majors, starting with the Washington Senators in 1961. He spent 1965-1967 & 1969-1971 on the roster of the Cleveland Indians, with an interruption in 1968 playing for the California Angels.

Probably Chuck's best year came in 1962 when he hit .310 with 17 home runs in 151 games for a Senators team that would lose 101 games.

Chuck Hinton career record.
                      Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-04-2008, 04:52 AM.

Comment

May 2

1923 Walter Johnson pitches the 100th shutout of his career with a 3-0 win over the Yankees at Griffith Stadium. The "Big Train" would record 113 shutouts, still a major league record.

Walter Johnson stats: http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/johnswa01.shtml

Comment

Roy Siever career stats are interesting. He had an excellent rookie season. Then a sophmore slump turning into 3 years of very limited MLB action (injured or in the minor?) Then he makes a comeback with Washington, subsequently putting in 10 years in the majors. I'm trying to think of somebody in the modern era who had similar career path.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougman59 View Post
                            Roy Siever career stats are interesting. He had an excellent rookie season. Then a sophmore slump turning into 3 years of very limited MLB action (injured or in the minor?)
                            Dougman59-Sievers rookie season was good enough that he won "Rookie of the Year" honors. According to a writeup in Wikipedia, he was bothered by arm and shoulder injuries during the 1951-1953 seasons.

Roy Sievers at Wikipedia

Comment

May 4

Senators Birthdays

A quintet of birthdays to remark this May 4th:

Larry Francis Drake B May 4, 1921 D Jul. 14, 1985

An outfielder with a very short career, Larry Drake first appeared in 1 game for the Philadelphia Athletics in 1945. He resurfaced in the majors with the Senators in 1948 where he appeared in 4 games, with 2 hits in 7 AB.

Larry Drake career record

Howard Dean (Howie) Koplitz B May 4, 1938 Still living

A pitcher who started his career with the Detroit Tigers in 1961, Koplitz played 2 years with the Tigers, then returned to the major leagues in 1964 with the Senators where he spent parts of 3 seasons, through 1966.

His career record is 9 wins, 7 losses. He went 4-7 with the 1965 Senators.

Howie Koplitz career record

John Anthony (Ox) Miller B May 4, 1915 D Aug. 13, 2007

Beginning his career with the 1943 Senators, Miller split time between the Senators and St. Louis Browns in 1943. He returned to the majors in 1945 and spent 1945 & 1946 with the Browns, ending his playing days with the Chicago Cubs in 1947.

Ox Miller career record

Richard Louis (Dick) Nold B May 4, 1943 Still living

Spending part of 1 season with the 1967 Senators, Nold finished with an 0-2 career record, with an ERA of 4.97 in 20.1 innings pitched.

Dick Nold career record

John Thomas (Jack) Tobin B May 4, 1892 D Dec. 10, 1969

Jack Tobin's career began in 1914 with the St. Louis Terriers of the Federal League. He spent 1916, 1918-1925 with the St. Louis Browns. In 1926 he appeared in 27 games in a Senators uniform before finishing the season with the Boston Red Sox, where he ended his baseball career after the 1927 season. An outfielder, he would finish with a lifetime batting average of .309. His best year would be 1919 when he hit .327 in 127 games for the Browns.

Jack Tobin career record

Comment

I noticed the Topps rookie card that Dick Nold shared with Frankie Coggins. What were the expectations for Coggins after he hit over .300 upon his September call up in 1967? I checked Coggins career stats and noticed that, after his Sept. flash, he fizzled in 1968 hitting .175 in 62 games.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X