Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

red color 2

mendoza -
    I just checked the Hall of Fame site for uniforms , and the sleeves and caps color is navy blue , not red . so i don't know why the red in these photos .
    caribeño

Comment

I will add Fermín "Mike" Guerra, Sandalio "Sandy" Consuegra, and Willy Miranda.

Comment

caribeño, I hope you check in again soon. It seems to me that Jiquí Moreno and Sandy Consuegra bear a strong resemblance to each other. This Life photo identifies the third man as Moreno, but I think it's Consuegra. The fourth man is definitely Conrado Marrero, not Ambassador Machado.

http://www.life.com/image/50648673

Comment

Two of those Cuban pitchers mentioned in this thread are among the oldest living major league ballplayers, according to Wikipedia.
          Connie Marrero is the third oldest living major leaguer. Born 8/11/1911, he's currently 97. He Played for Senators from 1950-1954 in a belated major league career and even was chosen to the American League's 1951 all-star team.
          Rogelio Martinez reached his 90th birthday last November 5. (Ranked as
          55th oldest living baseball player).

See Oldest living baseball player list at wikipedia.com

Rogelio Martinez may not be alive. We don't know where he is. Marrero is definitely alive and living in Havana.

Comment

virginiano - You are right about the fourth guy . That's Conrado not the ambassador . And you are also right about the resemblance of Jiquí Moreno to Consuegra , but the third man is Sandalio to me . Remember that Sandalio was taller than Fermín Guerra , and that Jiquí i was smaller than Fermín . Also Sandalio was a lot thinner than Jiquí .
            Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
            caribeño, I hope you check in again soon. It seems to me that Jiquí Moreno and Sandy Consuegra bear a strong resemblance to each other. This Life photo identifies the third man as Moreno, but I think it's Consuegra. The fourth man is definitely Conrado Marrero, not Ambassador Machado.

http://www.life.com/image/50648673

Comment

As I continued to dig into this story, i found the original LIFE magazine article on Conrado Marrero that contained this photo. It's available online here and is well worth reading in full:

http://books.google.com/books?id=c1E...ero%22&f=false

Since then (the caption in the magazine being one reason), I do believe it's Jiquí in the photo rather than Consuegra. Also, as the caption tells us, Ambassador Machado is on the far right of the photo.

By the way, after seeing this photo while working on the biography of Willy Miranda, I got the urge to write about Jiquí too. That story is almost done and should be on the SABR BioProject before too long.

Comment

Islas :
                ok . i'll check on the sabr's site . BTW , Are you including Reggie Jackson in your V. I . player's list ? I am saying because Granny Martínez was born there , so Reggie would be a 3rd. generation islander ( and 4th generation puertorican ) . What do you think ?
                caribeño

Comment

Sorry, Cambria was called in Cuba PAPA JOE because was loved like a constructor o bilder of the national pastime, no more under castro fire

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X