Rip - mickey vernon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rip - mickey vernon

It is with much regret that I bring this news here. I spent a few hours with Mr. Vernon last summer at his home in Media, PA interviewing him about his experiences playing with the Bob Feller all-stars against Satchel Paige's all-star team for a month in 1946. We wound up talking baseball for over an hour and he gave me a signed copy of his autobiography. Every person I met that knew him in baseball circles had nothing but positives to say about him and from meeting him, I can concur. Let's see if the HOF looks favorably upon him this year.

Taken from ESPN.com

Mickey Vernon, who batted .286 over 20 big league seasons, including two batting titles for the Washington Senators, died Wednesday afternoon at Riddle Memorial Hospital in Media, Pa., six days after suffering a stroke.

Vernon, who was 90 years old, is among 10 baseball greats on the Veterans' Committee ballot for consideration for next year's Hall of Fame induction class.

Vernon won the 1946 American League batting title with a .353 average and the 1953 crown when he batted .337. The first baseman finished with 172 home runs and 1,311 RBIs but also stole 137 bases in his career. A seven-time All-Star, Vernon played for five teams in a career that spanned four decades.

He leaves a daughter, Gay. Funeral arrangements are not yet complete.
    Baseball Happenings
    - Linking baseball's past, present and future.
    http://baseballhappenings.blogspot.com

Sad news indeed but I appreciate the update.

Mickey Vernon career record

I was hoping that he'd be selected to the Hall Of Fame and that he'd live long enough to see it. Alas, that won't happen.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Rest in peace, Mick. :candle:

Comment

I was hoping his being nominated would get him so recognition. If it does, it's too bad he won't get a chance to enjoy it.

To a well-lived life. It's morning, so all I can toast with is coffee.
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Mickey Vernon played with Ossie Bluege. (I remember Mickey Vernon playing, so this was a surprise to me.) In addition to a good man and a good ballplayer, we've lost another connection to baseball's distant past.

Comment

Another old-timer bites the dust. RIP.
            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Mickey Vernon obituary

From CBS Sports: Mickey Vernon obituary
              "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

When ESPN had mention of Vernon's passing on their news scroll, it mentioned his managing the Senators as well as taking a couple of batting titles. It did not mention his being a HOF finalist.
                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Mickey Vernon is my first and number one baseball-hero.

I'm right-handed, but hit left because I watched Vernon and thought that's how you're supposed to hit.

He should have been voted into the HOF before he died.

Comment

I think that Mickey Vernon will be electedto the Hall Of Fame when those
                    Pre-1943 debut Veterans Committee election results are announced on December 8. It's a shame that Vernon didn't live to see it.

Comment

I got his autograph from a private signing a few months ago... I almost passed on the opportunity but I'm so glad I did it now.

I would love to see the Nationals retire #3 for him and Killebrew; #4 for Joe Cronin; and #33 for Frank Howard.

Comment

Here is his obituary from the NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/27/sp...ref=obituaries
                        http://soundbounder.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mickey was raised in Marcus Hook, PA very close to the late Pirates Manager Danny Murtaugh. He was truly devoted to the Washington Senators for so many years and deserves the HOF election. The late Phillies announcer Harry Kalas was befriended by Mickey when he was attending a White Sox-Senators game in Chicago with his father as a 10 year old. As Harry told it, there was a rain delay and Mickey popped out of the dugout and spotted him and invited him back into the dugout where he introduced Harry to his teammates and discussed baseball. Harry credits that for motivating him into getting involved with the game and of course Mickey and the Senators instantly became his heroes.

Comment

I got his autograph about a year ago TTM. I sent him a 16 X 20 of the celebration at home after Mazeroski's home run in which he is in the photo. Few people remember that he actually played for the Pirates in '60. I have both Bob Skinner and Vernon on the photo. Now it is time to get Mazeroski and I will have the autos of all of the living players in that photo.

Comment

Originally posted by icee82 View Post
                              Few people remember that he actually played for the Pirates in '60.
                              Mickey Vernon's 20 year career included 2 separate stints with both the Cleveland Indians and the Washington Senators. (A link to his career record is provided in post #2 of this thread.)

He finished his playing days with the Milwaukee Braves in 1959 and a final 9 games with the Pirates in 1960. Another fine player who never had the pleasure of playing in a World Series although he was selected to the American League All Star team 7 different years.

A fan favorite in Washington, Mickey was brought back to manage the expansion Senators in 1961. Unfortunately for as fine a player as he was, that talent couldn't be translated into victories for the inept expansion franchise and he was fired early in the 1963 season.

He deserved better...
                              Last edited by Aa3rt; 07-15-2009, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X