Did the Clowns Perform on the Road?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the Clowns Perform on the Road?

The old Senators had some clowns in their coaching boxes - Nick Altrock, Germany Schaffer, Carl Sawyer and Al Schacht.

Did they perform their skits on the road as well? For example, when the Nats were playing away games in Cleveland or Philly, were the coaches performing?

Yes they did. According to the book The Washington Senators, 1901-1971, the 1913 Senators were the highest drawing road team in the AL due to Walter Johnson and the Nick Altrock and Germany Schaefer comedy duo.

Comment

Thanks for the info - I must have overlooked that reference.

Comment

Al Schacht bio at SABR

In case you've never seen this article, here's a bio on Al Schacht and how he came to be " The Clown Prince of Baseball". Interestingly, the article states that Schacht and Nick Altrock, despite their on field antics, were not particularly fond of each other.

SABR Al Schacht biography by Ralph Berger
        "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X