Senators' move to Texas and Cowboys-Redskins rivalry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senators' move to Texas and Cowboys-Redskins rivalry

It's well-known that the Dallas Cowboys-Washington Redskins rivalry is one of the biggest in sports. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me whether the Washington Senators' move to the Dallas area had any effect on that rivalry. I imagine that might have caused some extra antipathy on the part of Redskins fans toward Dallas sports teams.

Originally posted by Uncle Charlie View Post
    It's well-known that the Dallas Cowboys-Washington Redskins rivalry is one of the biggest in sports. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me whether the Washington Senators' move to the Dallas area had any effect on that rivalry. I imagine that might have caused some extra antipathy on the part of Redskins fans toward Dallas sports teams.
    I highly doubt it. Except for certain cities like New York-Boston-Philadelphia, team rivalries rarely transcend to the other sports.
    NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
    Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
    Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

From what I remember, the impact as at most miminal. There really wasn't any additional reason to hate the Cowboys.

Warner Wolf interviewed George Allen who said something about 'revenge' but that was about it.

Besides, many of us were certain that we would get a National League team in short (, order

Comment

I don't believe the move increased any rivalry, even though Washigtonians automatically rooted for bothe the Senators and the Redskins.

(In fact, I was to lazy to figure out that "Arlington" and "Texas" were actually Dallas.)

George Allen, however, picked out the Cowboys as the team to hate. I believe that, sometime during training camp, Allen began to say that Washington had been insulted by MLB, insulted, rejected. Wiley George told us that his Redskins would make us proud -- a wild prediction for a team that had had about two winning seasons since the mid-40s. Still, the Redskins had a mission to bring dignity to the Nation's Capital. Etc etc.

The Cowboys were consistent winners, so what team should George villainize?

Comment

IIRC I'd agree with the above - Dallas was a divisional rival and defending NFC Champion in 1971 when George took over (and would win the Super Bowl, finally, that season) so they were an easy team to demonize. By the 1972 season, Dallas was defending World Champion in addition to the Senators having moved, so again, Dallas would be the team to beat. In addition, Allen had been a coach with the Rams who used to scrimmage with the Cowboys during training camp (their camps were close) and exibition season, so he was familiar enough with the 'boys to be competitive. Plus, it's soooo easy to hate Dallas...

Allen's teams also had no love for their other divisional opponents - St. Louis and Philly were always slug fests and George allegedly had a defensive lineman kick a field goal to run up the score against the Giants one time.
          Last edited by minorfan; 08-25-2009, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X