Photos of the Senators Last Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos of the Senators Last Game

I googled "Washington Senators" and these photos came up. These are from the collection of Jack Rottier, who was a photographer for the National Park Service. Perhaps you have seen them before.
    Attached Files

Great photos Bryan! Thanks for sharing these. I was attending my first semester of college when that last game was played. I recall watching the "antics" of that final game on an old black and white television, not wanting to believe that the expansion Senators brief stay in Washington was over and lamenting the 9-0 forfeit loss to the hated Yankees. Brings back some bittersweet memories.

PS-Note the sparse crowd in the RFK stands for that final game-ol' Bob Short really managed to alienate the fans, many of whom were torn between their support for the team and their disdain for Short.
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 10-23-2010, 04:01 PM.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Originally posted by Aa3rt View Post
      Great photos Bryan! Thanks for sharing these. I was attending my first semester of college when that last game was played.
      I was six years old when that game was played. One of my few memories from that time was being asked to read a book to some teachers in school. I just read it, but I knew exactly what they wanted- they were impressed to see a kid my age reading. Not trying to brag, but that's about all I remember from 1971. Who knows? it very well may have even been that same day, September 30.
      Last edited by bryanac625; 10-23-2010, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bryanac625 View Post
        I was six years old when that game was played. One of my few memories from that time was being asked to read a book to some teachers in school. I just read it, but I knew exactly why they wanted it- they were impressed to see a kid my age reading. Not trying to brag, but that's about all I remember from 1971.
        Coincidentally I was the first student in my first grade class to be able to read-but it came at a price, I was the last to learn to tie my shoes.
        "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

40 years later-Short STILL Stinks!

I thought it only appropriate to give this thread a bump since it was 40 years ago today-September 30, 1971-that the expansion Washington Senators played their last game in Washington.

With the Senators leading 7-5 in the top of the 9th with 2 out, Joe Grzenda on the mound and the New York Yankees Horace Clarke at the plate, unruly fans mobbed the field, stopping play that resulted in a 9-0 forfeit to the Yankees.

Box score of the final game, courtesy of Baseball-Almanac here:

Yankees vs. Senators, Sep. 30, 1971

It would be 33 years before major league baseball would return to Washington...
          Last edited by Aa3rt; 09-30-2011, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Let's bump this thread again. I like this year's New New Nats pitching staff...better than any staff I can remember, and I remember back to 1952 or '53. It's been 79 years since the last pennant. I have a hunch...

Comment

I have the radio broadcast for that game. That's one game I could honestly say that I was glad not to have been there.

Comment

I was living in NYC. Heard the game over the Yankees broadcast. A sad game. I remember Phil Rizutto squawking, "Those huckleberries!! They're taking over the field!" Might not be accurate, but that's how I remember it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X