X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don Mincher article in the New York Times

An interesting read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/07/sp...cher.html?_r=1
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

That's a very nifty piece of trivia: Mincher played on the last original Washington Senators Team in 1960. In '61 he went with the team as they moved to become the Minnesota Twins, spent some time with other teams in the late '60s was traded to the expansion Washington Senators team so that he became part of the last Wash. Senators II team in 1971 and made the move to become part of the inaugural Texas Rangers team in 1972.
    Wasn't he the president of the Class AA Southern League for a few years also?
    Mincher hit exactly 200 home runs, made the 1967 & 1969 American League All-Star teams and describes himself as "a pretty fair Country ballplayer" in his day.

Comment

I watched Mincher hit one out of Kansas City's Municipal Stadium on to Brooklyn Avenue. A mighty poke.
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
        Wasn't he the president of the Class AA Southern League for a few years also?
        Actually he still is the Southern League president. You can read more about him at the Southern League website:

Don Mincher, Southern League president

And, if you're really into Washington Senators minutia, Don hit the last grand slam by a Senators batter on Aug. 31, 1971 in a 6-5 victory over the Yankees in New York.
        "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X