Bob Wolff's contract extended at Long Island TV 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Wolff's contract extended at Long Island TV 12

"(Woodbury, N.Y.) – News 12 Long Island today announced that it has signed a multiyear contract extension with legendary sports announcer Bob Wolff, furthering his distinction as the longest - running TV and radio sports broadcaster in history. This new contract will take him into his 66th year on television, and his 73rd year in broadcasting."

Full story at http://www.newsli.com/2010/04/23/bob...evity-records/

However, the story doesn't do justice to Wolff, who began broadcasting Senators gameson TV in 1947. He continued to be the TV "face" of the Nats until Calvin G. "stole" the team away to Minneapolis. He broadcast the Twins for a couple of years, and then went to NBC.

But this hardly does justice to Wolff, who called Detroit Pistons games, authored a book for Bob Petit, was the vpoice of Madison Square Garden, and called both Rangers and Knick games.

Wikipedia lists the rest of Wolff's work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Wolff

By the way, Bob Wolff happened to call Don Larsen's perfect game in 1956, and the Colt's/Giants NFL overtime championship in 1958.

Along the way, we wrote his own book in 1992: "It's Not Who Won or Lost the Game: It's How You Sold the Beer", now available in reprint.

I happened to hear Wolff's voice while dressing for dinner at an offsite team meeting in Montauk during the summer of 2000. I couldn't miss that voice. Unchanged. I expected him to say, "Nats down a run with two out in the ninth, Runnels at the plate and Roy Sievers hopin' to get up".

Maybe it's good business, or maybe it's my heart talking, but I'd like to have Bob Wolff call three innings of a New New Senators games every now and then. Has to be better than the curent crew.

Wolff, and Arch McDonald on radio, had a way to get you inside the game without hamming it up. Just baseball, with all the stories, with respect for the fans and respect for the players. No tirades and no lectures about how he would manage the team.

Wolff's intro to David Gough's fine history of the 1960 Senators, "They've Stolen Our Team", is a model of holding up what is great in baseball without spitting on all modern players and habits.

So, our Bob Wolff goes for his 66th year in sports TV. Wow.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X