Former Senators player Sonny Dixon passes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Senators player Sonny Dixon passes away

Pitcher Sonny Dixon began his major league career with the Senators in 1953. In his first year with the club, he was used primarily as a reliever, going 5-8 with a 3.75 ERA in 43 games. He led the club in appearances and games finished that year, and among all qualifying league pitchers, he finished first in fielding percentage.

He began 1954 with the team, going 1-2 with a 3.03 ERA in 16 relief appearances. On June 11, he was traded to the White Sox for pitcher Gus Keriazakos, who promptly traded him to the Philadelphia Athletics with Al Sima, Bill Wilson and cash for Morrie Martin and Ed McGhee. He was the league's most-seen reliever that year, leading the circuit in appearances.

Here's his obituary:

Mr. Dixon, 87, lifelong resident of the Steele Creek Community of Charlotte, NC, passed away, Saturday morning, November 19, 2011 at Carolinas Medical Center - Main.

Sonny, as he was affectionately known, was born November 5, 1924 in Charlotte, North Carolina, the only child of the late John Craig Dixon, Sr. and Eva Wilson. He played in baseball from 1941 to 1960 except for three years while he was serving in the United States Navy during World War II.

Sonny played in the major leagues for 3 1/2 years with the Washington Senators, Philadelphia Athletics and the New York Yankees. He held The American League record for appearing in 54 games in 1954, was inducted into the American Legion Hall of fame in 1989, and was the 'Old Timer' of the year in Ringgold, GA at the Catoosa County Special Olympics.

After his retirement from baseball in 1960 he worked over 35 years at a convience store in the Steele Creek Community. He was a longtime member of Steele Creek Presbyterian Church.
    Read more:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/cha...8769&fhid=4561

RIP Mr Dixon

"I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X