1970 Washington Senators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swbredbaronfan View Post
    I know this is a pretty old thread. Maybe somebody with a better memory than mine can provide more details such as the specific date and etc.

In April of 1970 I was a young Marine stationed at Ft. Meade and myself and a couple of buddies decided to drive down the Parkway to see the Senators play the Yankees.

I remember paying something like $5 apiece for box seats ( I may be wrong but i think that may have been the most expensive seats in the MLs at the time).

Well, we got ourselves quite a game for that though. The Sens were leading 1-0 (Joe Coleman against Fritz Peterson) until there were 2 outs in the top of the 9th when Bobby Murcer hit one over the right-centerfield fence to tie the game. The game went extra innings and just about every relief pitcher on both teams was used in the game. I remember the game ended with Eddie Brinkman sliding across the plate with the winning run in the bottom of the 18th.

By the time the game ended there were about 50 people left in the stands. During the game we kept moving up closer to the front until my right shoulder was against the Yankee dugout. I even got to have a short conversation with Pete Ward who was finishing up his career with the Yankees at that time.

Later in the summer I took a solo trip there and was in the park the night that Frank Robinson it 2 GS HRs but I don't remember as much of the game. (whattya want, I was 20 yrs old and girl chasing was even more fun).

I thought I would share that and maybee somebody can come up with some dates and maybe even a box score or two. Thanks
    Courtesy of Baseball-Almanac, here's the box score from April 22, 1970, a 2-1 Senators win over the Yankees in 18 innings.

April 22, 1970

Frank Robinson hit 2 grand slams against the Senators in a 12-2 Orioles win on June 26, 1970. Box score here;

June 26, 1970
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 05-11-2008, 09:47 PM.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

I see from the box score that Joe Grzenda won that game. He looked old back in 1970!

It looked like anyone could hit his pitching -- but I think his era was under 2.00 for a substantial part of 1970.

Comment

How did Rick Reichardt manage to go 2 for 2 with 2 RBI against Dave McNally in that Baltimore game on June 26, 1970? :noidea I guess McNally got upset because I noticed that Reichardt got hit by a pitch.

Comment

Thanx Ed and aa3rt for posting the dates and the box score links.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Jeltz View Post
            How did Rick Reichardt manage to go 2 for 2 with 2 RBI against Dave McNally in that Baltimore game on June 26, 1970? :noidea I guess McNally got upset because I noticed that Reichardt got hit by a pitch.
            As a Nat's fan, I hated McNally. He had a 16 game win streak where he always seemed to win a game on a close call by the ump.

Booed him mercilessly the one time I saw him pitch.

However, I still remember that awful feeling when I read that he had passed away. He was a remarkable pitcher who was overshadowed by Jim Palmer.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X