Art Defilippis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Art Defilippis

Does anyone know anything about Senators 1970 draftee,Art Defillipis? I think there is a picture of him in the Rangers/Senators section of StevesBaseballPhotos. I know that he was on a Rookie Stars card once but never made the majors. All I could find was that he was in the Nats/Rangers organization until 1976 and was traded to the Reds for former Senators pitcher,Mike Thompson.
    Remember that big "Phenom" stiff? I remember his debut very well. It was on TV and the team was very excited about his future. His first major league start was against the Orioles and he pitched 7 one hit Innings with 9 walks. Jim Palmer got the only single. Thompson had really bad control. He ended up with a 1-15 major league record.
    I remember listening to spring training games on the radio and hearing prospects,Defilippis,Jan Dukes and Jim Miles pitch. Dukes and Miles had short stints with the Senators but Defilippis never got the call. I wonder why? He was a second round draft pick and we all know that the Nats needed pitching.
    Last edited by JohnGelnarFan; 06-09-2006, 12:45 PM.

Originally posted by JohnGelnarFan
    Does anyone know anything about Senators 1970 draftee,Art Defillipis? I think there is a picture of him in the Rangers/Senators section of StevesBaseballPhotos. I know that he was on a Rookie Stars card once but never made the majors. All I could find was that he was in the Nats/Rangers organization until 1976 and was traded to the Reds for former Senators pitcher,Mike Thompson.
    Remember that big "Phenom" stiff? I remember his debut very well. It was on TV and the team was very excited about his future. His first major league start was against the Orioles and I think he pitched 7 hitless Innings with about 7 or 9 walks. If I remember correctly, Jim Palmer got a single to break up the no-hitter. Thompson had really bad control. He ended up with a 1-15 major league record.
    I remember listening to spring training games on the radio and hearing prospects,Defilippis,Jan Dukes and Jim Miles pitch. Dukes and Miles had short stints with the Senators but Defilippis never got the call. I wonder why? He was a second round draft pick and we all know that the Nats needed pitching.
    He pitched a no-hitter for Stamford, CT in the 1969
    Babe Ruth World Series.

Brownie31

Comment

Art Defilippis

Thanks Brownie. I remember that he was mentioned as a hot shot high school pitcher in a book by ex minor leaguer,Pat Jordan.

Comment

I was searching through the baseball alamanc and saw that in 1976 the Cincinnati Reds obtained Art from Texas for, of alll, people, Mike Thompson.

Mike was another 'pheonom' for the Nats who never panned out. He supposedly had one the fastest fastball ever recoreded in the majors. But the guy had zero control. He won only one game in his major league career.

Art was drafted by the Nats in 1970 and Mike was drafted in 1965.

Comment

Mike Thompson did throw hard. I remember his major league debut against the Orioles. It was on tv and we Nats fans were always excited about any prospect that might turn into a legitimate star. He only allowed one hit but walked about 7. I wrote about that game somewhere else here. The only hit was by Jim Palmer. He never did harness that control and it's funny that he came back to the organization in Texas. I bought an 8" x 10" spring training photo of Art Defillipis and it hangs proudly on my wall!

Comment

John Gelnar fan,

Here's your six degrees of separation from Art DeFillippis - I batted against him in high school. He played for Stamford Catholic and I played for Roger Ludlowe (Fairfield, CT).
            By far the best pitcher I ever faced (not that I faced all that many really good ones). I did face Mike Kowalski of Stratford who had a curveball from hell. It's what did his arm in, but he was something else too. His team (Kowalski's) made it to the Little League World Series in (I believe) 1963. Back to DeFillippis. He was short and lefthanded. He would have been a perfect LH reliever, but back then relievers were mostly failed starters. His arm could not hold up to throwing so hard. I remember one game when I faced him where I could not even foul off his pitches. I ended up bunting to try and get a basehit (I was the clean-up hitter!!!). I got thrown out. This was the same era as Bobby Valentine from one of the other Stamford High schools (Rippowam). He was the best HS player I ever saw. I do remember the card you are talking about with DeFillippis on it. He was pictured with two other players. No pitch counts in those days, and his frame was too small to stand up to so many pitches. A possible comp to him these days would be Billy Wagner. He (DeFillippis) was that fast. You could probably get more info from Stamford Catholic HS in Stamford, CT or the Stamford Advocate, the local newspaper.
            All the best,

John Klein

Comment

Art Defillipis

Hi John,

I've been away from here for a long time but I wanted to thank you for the memories of your experiences in high school,facing Art. You never forget those wonderful old days. I bought a photo of him in spring training with the 1972 Texas Rangers and it hangs proudly on my wall. I will always have fond memories of him pitching in spring games with the Senators. Take care!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X